Tuesday, January 23, 2007

New Practices

Yes, I definitely think that digital technologies are fostering new material practices. I find myself going through a ritual every time I sit down at the computer. However, I still prefer to brainstorm and outline on paper before I begin writing a scholarly or creative piece of writing. It seems like my thinking process and paper are still a better match than my thinking and a computer. One obvious reason - it is much easier to procrastinate staring at the computer (exploring various websites) than staring a blank sheet of paper. With this said, I have often found research ideas and sources as I procrastinated at the computer.

2 Comments:

At 4:13 PM, Blogger Mavis A. Fipp said...

I had one of my students write her "literacy" paper last semester on exactly that, all the things she did at the computer while procrastinating. Apparently she discovered stocks that she didn't know she owned, and read up on some current affairs.

 
At 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The latest and worst I've discovered is the beta program for Google Images. More pointless than knitting socks in Hell.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home